Professional Makeup Beauty Tips
Foundation that fits for your skin
The right foundation gives your skin a dewy glow, or a soft matte finish, depending on what you're looking for.
Our professional makeup beauty tips include how to find the right formulation for your skin type, and how to look for the one that most closely matches your skin tone.
Tinted moisturizers are a cross between a foundation and a moisturizer, soothing your skin while at the same time giving you light coverage.
Tinted moisturizers look great during the summer months when you only want a hint of color and work most effectively on normal or young skins.
Most tinted moisturizers come in a tube and you apply them with your fingertips.
Liquid foundations are the most popular because they are easy to apply and give you a soft, natural looking coverage. They suit all but the driest skin types. If you have oily or blemished skin, look for oil-free medicated foundations to prevent aggravating your skin.
You can apply liquid foundation with your fingertips, or for
a more professional look use a foundation wedge or sponge.
Cream foundations are thick, rich and moisturizing and not suitable for oily or blemish-prone complexions. They are ideal for dry or mature skin as they have a richer texture. Blend into your skin with a foundation wedge or sponge.
Mousse foundations are suitable for most skin types as they are moisturizing and fun to use. For the most professional finish, apply the mousse to the back of your hand then dab onto your skin with your fingertips or a foundation sponge.
Compact foundations are ideal for most skin types and generally have a foundation-to-powder formulation which gives you excellent coverage.
They generally come in a compact with their own sponge so make
a great product to have in your handbag to keep your skin
looking its best all day long.
These are the dinosaurs of foundations, dating back to the days of old Hollywood! They have a heavy consistency and are best on badly blemished or scarred skin. Dot a little foundation onto the affected area then blend in with a damp sponge.
Once you've chosen the ideal formulation for your skin, you're ready to choose the perfect shade to match your skin tones. Foundations are either yellow or pink based.
Here are our professional beauty tips for finding the perfect shade:
- Ensure you are in natural light when trying foundation colors, so you can see exactly how your skin will look once you're in daylight.
- Select a couple of shades that look like they will match your skin.
- Don't test the color on your wrist or hand as they are not the same color as the skin on your face. Instead, stroke a little color onto your jawline and blend slightly. The shade that "disappears" into your skin is the right one for you.
- Apply foundation to freshly moisturized skin to ensure you have a perfect base to work on.
- Use a cosmetic sponge to apply most types of foundation for more even coverage. Using your fingertips can result in a greasy, uneven finish.
- Apply your foundation in small dots then blend in with your cosmetic sponge.
- Use only a very small amount to start with then add more dots of foundation if you need to. One of the classic mistakes many women make is to use too much foundation which can streak and look pasty.
- Dampen the sponge first then wring out all the moisture so it doesn't soak up the excess foundation.
- Check for tell-tale tidemarks on your jawline, nose, forehead and chin and blend in well.
COLOR CORRECT FOUNDATION
Color corrective foundation can be worn under your normal foundation to alter your skin tone.
They may seem quite strange at first glance but are, in fact, highly effective at toning down high color or boosting the color of your complexion.
Use them sparingly at first until you feel confident with their subtle but effective results.
- Green foundation cools down rosiness and is great for those who blush easily.
- Lavender foundation will brighten up a sallow skin and is great when you are feeling tired, particularly under your eyes.
- Apricot foundation will give a subtle glow to dull skin and is a great beauty booster during the winter months.
- White foundation gives a wonderful glow to all complexions and is perfect for a special night out.